Saturday, June 30, 2007

Bubble...ish...ous......Skirt That is!



Bubble skirts are back, or so they say. I remember the fall of 1959 when the NEW Bubble, Balloon and Hobble skirts hit the market place. I was 12 years old and entering Junior High School. My friends and I had gone downtown to do our Back to School shopping (with a bit of cash and Mama's Charge Account Information in our pockets ..........they didn't carry plastic in those days)

There on the Courthouse Square (or at least across the street) in the J C Penny window was the funniest looking skirt we had ever seen. It was called a Bubble Skirt and we couldn't see any way you could walk in it, but we all had to have one. The colors were intense. A wine and a deep forest green. I got the green one and my girlfriend got the wine colored one. I think I wore mine, once to school and once to church. You just can't put a 12 year old (no matter how grown up she thinks she is) in a hobble skirt and expect it to survive.

Imagine my surprise when I found this pattern. It was like going back 48 years to the time of yesteryear.

No comments: