Saturday, June 30, 2007

Sweetness doesn't just come from sugar

And Hollywood isn't just for the stars. Despite today's "let it all show" styles, sweetness never goes out of style. I used to favor the Gunne Sax styles in the 70s (but never could afford them), and I still gravitate toward the sweet, pretty styles. I love lace and frills.

My daughter, alas, is all tomboy in her style. She is not a dressup person, and loves trendy-wear -- with no skin showing, if that's possible -- but I think her style comes mainly from the fact that she works with animals on a daily basis. Can't get all dressed up when you're mucking out stalls at the barn. LOL

I grew up working at church and in the library, so this sweet 40s Hollywood pattern is right up my alley. Plus, I love that it's versatile: you can make it as a dress or make a bed jacket. I love the dress, and would wear it to a wedding, in rayon, in a floral print. Add some pearls and pumps and I'd definitely be feeling pretty good.

And the bedjacket? I'd make it in pink satin. It might not go with the book I'm currently reading (
The Afterlife Studies), but I'd feel pretty, nonetheless.

I think that's what is so nice about being able to create one's own garments: you can create your own sense of style, regardless of the trends, AND you can alter the pattern so it fits. More on that tomorrow.

No comments: